Mini salmon cakes are great as an appetizer or make the mini salmon cakes larger for an entree. Easy to make. Can be made ahead and refrigerated for a day or two and frozen for no more than a week.
- 2 6 oz Cans Live Ocean Premium Salmon drained, reserve liquid
- 1 Cup Panko Bread crumbs . You can always add more if the mixture is too wet as they have a very delicate flavor. Gluten Free Panko Bread crumbs may be substituted.
- 1 Tbls Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbls Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 Medium jalapeno pepper seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 3 Tbls Finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Large stalk of celery finely chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 Orange bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 Large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 Large shallot finely minced
- 2 TBL homemade or prepared mayonnaise
- Zest of 1 lemon no white
- Freshly ground black pepper * to taste
- 3 Tbsp Oil for cooking cakes
- 1 Garlic clove minced (or other half of super huge shallot)
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 Large egg
- 1 Large egg yolk
- 1 Cup Canola or vegetable oil
- Zest of 1 lime making sure you only get the green part of the lime and not the white pith.
- 2 Tbls Fresh lime juice about ½ the lime
- ½ Large jalapeno pepper seeds and ribs removed, minced.
Combine the drained and flaked salmon and the Panko bread crumbs into a large bowl. Set aside. In another bowl mix together the mustard, Worcestershire, Old Bay, jalapenos, cilantro, egg, shallots, mayonnaise, and lemon zest. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the salmon mixture and stir to combine.
Heat oven to 350. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set the baking sheet aside.
Heat 1 Tbl. of the canola oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat.
Using your fingers, shape about 1 ½ Tbls of the salmon mixture into half-dollar-size round patties. Do not over-handle as the patties will become dense. Put each salmon cake in the skillet as it’s completed. Continue with the remaining salmon mixture and cook until golden brown on the bottom, 30 seconds to 1 minute. (This time isn’t accurate; just test them for color and firmness. If you take them off too soon, they crumble) Turn the salmon cakes and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute more.
Transfer the salmon cakes to a plate with a paper towel to drain them before putting them in the oven.
NOTE: Make them any size you want and adjust the cooking time accordingly. Large, single portion salmon cakes will take about 15 minutes or more to heat through the center. They “fluff” up when cooking.
Transfer the salmon cakes to the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown
The salmon cakes may be held in a warm oven for 30 minutes, or cooled after 10 minutes and reheated at serving time. Serve warm with the Chili-Lime Aioli.
Place the garlic and salt in the bowl of a food processor (or blender).
Process until pureed
Add the egg and egg yolk and process/pulse, scraping down the sides of the bowl to combine the ingredients thoroughly.
With the machine running, very slowly add the canola oil a few drops at a time at first and then in a thin, steady stream; it will emulsify and thicken. NOTE: You can make this in a blender just using the pulse feature or in a bowl with a wire whisk. In a pinch, you can use a fork. Just make sure the garlic or shallot is very finely minced
Once the oil has been added and the aioli has formed, quickly pulse in the lime zest and the juice.
Transfer to a bowl and stir in the peppers. The aioli may be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 day.
Make them any size you want and adjust the cooking time accordingly. Large, single portion crab cakes will take about 15 minutes or more to heat through the center. They “fluff” up when cooking.
I also use lemon juice and don’t always use the zest. The juice doesn’t have to be fresh and I add it to-taste.
Salmon Sandwich with Sriracha Mayonnaise
Deviled Eggs with Salmon
Atlantic Salmon & Cilantro Potato Salad
Atlantic Salmon & Spinach Party Dip
Salmon Stuffed Cucumbers or Potatoes
Salmon & Rice Bake Recipe
Linguine Pasta with Canned Salmon and Asparagus
Maryland Style Mini Salmon Cakes